Sunday, September 16, 2012

We have arrived!

We have had an action packed, on-the-go-day.  The children have been so well behaved.  The cabin crew on Qantas praised them on their wonderful manners and positive attitudes.  We met Arthur, our guide/coach driver for the week. He has been a font of knowledge on our first drive around Canberra.So - TO BED we go...hopefully that means the children as well...

A word from the children in Group 1...

My first plane flight made me completely freak out - which was aided by 6 Mentos in my mouth - I got through my fear and it was a fantastic flight!  (Sarah)
Mt Ainsley had the best view of Canberra, we could see the War Memorial and both Parliament Houses - it was jaw-dropping. (Riley)
A sneaky crow took my biscuits when I had my back turned!  (Alex)
After Mt Ainsley we  took a tour around all the embassies.  I never thought there would be so many and many of the buildings were very attractive.  My favourite embassy was the Japanese Embassy. (Tom)
Our next stop was lunch - we had sausages on bread and a drink - we got to sit on a big hill - we could see many different famous Canberra attractions - Parliament House, Lake Burley Griffin and the War Memorial. (Isabella, Hayley and Cleo)
At Questacon, which is a Science Museum, there were lots of activities, but my favourite was the Free Fall slide - I went on it about 10 times! (Alessia)
I was jealous when others went on the "360" because I wasn't the right size :-( Rachel)
My favourite activity was the earthquake room and I liked how Sarah and Cleo screamed in my ear.  (Isabella)
The automatic Air Hockey robot was amazing as it managed to follow every movement of the puc precisely (Tom)
The Free Fall and the earthquake room were a lot of fun. (Hayley)











When we finally arrived at the Carotel, we found out who our room mates were. Making the beds with flat sheets was really tricky - no fitted sheets!  It is awesome with your BFFs.  It is a great, large room with a TV.  Dinner was fantastic - we had fish, wedges and salad and ended it off with a yummy frozen yogurt!  - So what's for breakfast? (Group 1 girls)

Look out for Group 2's (Keely, Isabella P, Sophie, Andrea, Madeline, Madisson, Lydia Olivia P, Rhys and James) words of wisdom tomorrow...



17 comments:

  1. What a fabulous day! Can't wait to hear about tomorrow. Glad to see you survived the flight Sarah! (with the mentos of course) WE miss you heaps. Love Mum, Dad and Ryan

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Canberra Campers, I loved reading about your crazy capers! I am glad you all arrived safely and are loving your adventure. I hope you all managed to get a good amount of sleep to recharge for the big days ahead. Keep blogging and I will keep reading!! Miss McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  3. LOVE the blog dear Travellers - keep those great posts coming! We do miss you. B block isn't that same without your smiling faces. Keep those gorgeous caps on (don't they look amazing in that blue light tunnel at Questacon??). It's very summery here but we're praying for some lovely snow on those slopes in a few days. xxx Mrs Mead

    PS
    Someone might help Mrs Peasey find the time zone settings in blogger - we do love you loads but we're not REALLY staying up ALL NIGHT waiting for new posts!

    PPS
    Not that Mrs P really needs any help - she's so CLEVER!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. To Canberra Camper Jasmine F
    Questacon sounds fantastic but then so does being a CSIRO Scientist.
    You've already made some fabulous hand cream concoctions so I think you should be ace at this. Enjoy every moment. Mum, Dad, CC and Scruffy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad you're all having a ball! Enjoy every moment - make the most of it. The rest of us here at school are WORKING to the end!!

    ENJOY!

    Mrs Lourigan

    ReplyDelete
  6. Miss you so much Ella, but it looks like you are having a wonderful time. Enjoy your day today xxx
    Ps ray went on big brother

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Year 7 and all the lovely staff members,
    I am sooooooo jealous. I was lucky enough to go on the Sydney/Canberra trip twice when I was teaching Year 7. I absolutely loved it. Questacon is so much fun. My Year 7's were determined to get me on the Free Fall Slide but because I am so old I thought I would break my back and not get home!!! The snow is always lots of fun.Don't forget to all have a yummy hot chocolate at the cafe (with marshmallows of course!!! Look forward to tracking your journey. Have fun and be good. Mrs Walker

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi again, I just wanted to mention that although I loved the photo of the whole group taken up on the mountain, I am a little concerned that the teaching staff don't seem to be following the directive to wear their orange beenies at all times? What's happening there?? Miss McCarthy

    ReplyDelete
  9. The Year 6 students would like to say....
    "We are sooo Jelly, we are here doing maths and you are in Canberra having fun....boo hoo (sad face)... but hang on a minute.... next year you will be in year 8 with very sore heads doing exams and we will be in Canberra.. woo hoo (happy face)!... so who's laughing now (well in a years time really!)."
    Have fun and see you after the holidays... the Beautiful and Talented students of year 6 Blue!!

    PS... we have all the jobs under control.

    ReplyDelete
  10. It is so great to see all those lovely smiling faces. I hope you enjoyed being scientists for the day. Make sure you keep those wonderful manners going. We miss you already Lauren, have lots & lots of fun :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow - sounds like you're all having a fantastic time. Such great adventures you're all having! I look forward to hearing about Day 2 and seeing the wonderful photos. The house is very quiet here without you Bella. Love Mum, Dad and Miah x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Good to hear that everyone on the trip is having fun. We miss you, Michael. Take care. Love Mum and Dad.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Craig and Sharon WatsonSeptember 17, 2012 at 5:46 PM

    So glad to hear you are all having fun. We love the group photo. Lots of love to Tish. Mrs Peasey we hope you weren't really awake at 3.00 in the morning. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha ha, Sharon and Craig, no, I was not awake at that time - that would be total madness...hadn't found out how to change the time stamp - should be better now. Keep up the comments, parents!

      Delete
  14. Kathleen B's Grandma in CanadaSeptember 20, 2012 at 11:17 AM

    What a fabulous trip! Love those hats. That's what most of us wear here in Manitoba in winter - except they are usually woolen and we call them tuques ('tooks')- also most aren't that colourful! I wonder who the main targets were in the snowball fights?! XXX Kathleen from G'ma B.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Kathleen B's Grandma in CanadaSeptember 20, 2012 at 11:21 AM

    What a fabulous trip! Love those hats. That's what most of us wear here in Manitoba in winter - except they are usually woolen and we call them tuques ('tooks')- also most aren't that colourful! I wonder who the main targets were in the snowball fights?! XXX Kathleen from G'ma B.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops! The message didn't come up for a few minutes, so I sent it again - guess it took a while to get around to the other side of the world :) Love the way the computer translated 'B(apostrophe)s'

      Delete